I'm currently looking for both English and Swedish speaking pattern testers, mainly right now for my Paris Purse, so intermediate and up sewists in particular. But also for future patterns - so please read on!
What is a pattern tester you ask? A pattern tester is someone who is involved in reading, lightly editing, and sewing up a bag before the pattern is released. A pattern is not ready to be released until after they are tested by a number of sewists/bag makers. Pattern testers are an incredibly important part of the pattern writing process. As a group my awesome pattern testers are able to give the me a unique perspective on the pattern, catch any errors and can generate helpful feedback! You also get to sew my new releases before anyone else ;)
We work mostly through my Facebook group to which you will get an invite once accepted, I post when I have a new pattern in need of testing, a post with photos, description of bag and the skills and hardware needed to complete it along with a deadline for the test and photography of the bag. And then you just comment on the post if you wish to test that particular pattern =)
Are you interested in being a pattern tester, please ask yourself the following before submitting an application:
* Do you have the time? You will be given a specific time frame to for testing (usually 2-3 weeks). Many patterns are being released on a deadline, so it is important to be sure that you have the time to commit before you agree to test. You absolutely don't have to test each and everyone of my patterns if you become a pattern tester, however, participating in a couple of tests/year is good.
* Do you have the ability to sew something less than perfect – this is important because, believe it or not, even experienced designers can mess up the numbers, write the wrong one or otherwise mess stuff up. And like when in this case, the pattern designer sometimes is very blonde, it's bound to happen. ;) It is important to sit down and take a look at some numbers to make sure that they make sense before you start. Remember, the pattern hasn’t been published yet for a reason!
* Do you have a willingness to read slowly and carefully as you go through the pattern to look for typos, grammatical errors, and inconsistencies in wording. As English isn't my first language, help with grammar, spelling and wording is extra important for me. And for my Swedish pattern testers, as I work in English most of the time the wto languages does get mixed up for me so help with, grammar, wording and spelling in Swedish is much needed too. Nitpicking is something I very much appreciate I love grammar nazis in my testers!
* Do you have some way to make notes as you work, and an ability to share those notes – whether you send the information in an email body, as an word document, or a scanned/photographed image of your written notes on the printed pattern.
* Do you have the time to photograph your bag after finishing it and are you willing to let me use such photos in blog posts, social media and promotional material, always with full credit of course! You will receive 2 of my finished patterns as a thank you for each test you make.
Does this sound like it might be for You?
If so, please email me a filled in application below to: Maria AT pinkponydesign DOT com
Pattern Tester Application, to be me at hand before 5th of November.
1. Name and any social media/blog.
2. Native language (interested in testing the pattern in Swedish or English, or both).
3. Bag sewing experience (how long have you been sewing and how experienced are you with sewing bags). Please attach some photos of bags or such you've sewn.
4. Are you/have you been a tester before? Why do you think you'd make a good tester?
5. Will you be able to give honest feedback, even when such feedback is negative?
6. Are you able to test the Paris Purse within the next 3 weeks? You will need a bag frame from one of the places in the link places and a very stable interfacing such as Fast 2 Fuse heavy or Pellon Peltex: https://www.serialbagmakers.com/rozy/#more-119
Thank you all for considering!